Around The World, Around Our Town: Recipes from San Pedro
Friends of the San Pedro Library
San Pedro, 1987
Friends of the San Pedro Library is an organization that raises funds for equipment, book purchases, and patron support.
In 1905, San Pedro was granted $10,000 from Andrew Carnegie to build its first library in Plaza Park on Vinegar Hill. The domed structure at 820 S. Beacon Street became a branch of the Los Angeles Public Library system in 1909, when San Pedro was officially annexed by LA County.
In the 1920s the library moved to its current location at Gaffey and Tenth Streets, but the original building continued to house books - serving as the American Merchant Marine Library, and offering books to sailors traveling through The Port of Los Angeles. The building was torn down in the 1960s.